Monday, October 23, 2006

Islandia

"Islandia" was inspired by the Greenland hood that was high fashion in Iceland during the 1300s. Islandia may be worn over or under your fall or winter coat. Currently I am making a batch for "the" Craft Fair. I have one almost finished. I am half through another. And 1/4 finished a third.
I knit the way I cook. I use a pattern as a guideline. This way I don't have to knit the same thing over and over again. What intrigues me is creating something new with yarn.
Hence the version pictured above.
I searched my stash looking for inspiration. I found three colours of bulky lopi yarn: white, light grey, and dark grey. Because I was working with bulky yarn I did not need to cast on as many stitches as the pattern called for. The bulky yarn moved quickly over my needles. On the whole I like the effect I achieved. I need to knit more on the I-cord streamer. They are a little shorter than I wanted. It is easy to add on. Then I have to weave in the ends and add the tassels. This hood should be finished today.
Don't be afraid to play with a pattern. It's fun. If you don't like the results it is relatively easy to frog (rip out) and try again.
Add fun to your knitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home