Thursday, March 30, 2006

Today I grief. I have lost not one friend but scores of them.
Allow me to explain: I crave knitting books. Now I knit my own creations so it is not the pattern books I crave. No, instead it is knit lit. I thoroughly enjoy stories about knitting.
Sadly, Mayne Island (population 1,000) does not have a bookstore dedicated to knitlit. So when I hunt down a "good" knitting book I cherish it like fine wine. When shall I open it? How fast shall I drink in the prose? I know this experience is finite. I savour each word. For a couple of months now, I have been tasting the sweet stories contained in Knit Lit III.
Two stories stand out for me: the Preface "Linda's story" is a tale of two friends and their mutual love for knitting.
'The Cardigan', written by Harry Kelley, is a poem written by an uncle to accompany his gift to his niece.
Both are finely crafted. One left me in tears the other in laughter.
I would have loved to sustain this relationship with my friends for years. Unfortunately, this was not to be. Yesterday I finished the book.
So now I am alone. Separated from my friends. Thank heavens for Amazon.com
Your suggestions for fine Knit Lit are greatly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home