Thursday, March 23, 2006

Stitch pattern: seed and moss stitch

It seems to be a re-occurring theme in this series of posts that I forget one design. Yesterday's post on Stockinette stitch was no different. I forgot... Ferry traffic
I combined I-cord with Stockinette stitch in this tribute to the ferry.
Funny thing on Mayne Island you can tell when the ferry is in: by the long stream of traffic.
Sadly, I must report that the sinking of the Queen of the North did result in two lives lost. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Seed Stitch

There seems to be some confusion (or differing) over the terms "seed stitch" and "moss stitch". Some seem to think that it is the same stitch only different terminology is used. As indicated by this site: http://www.clicketyknits.com/htm/all_about_knitting/terminology.htm

This site states that what is known as "seed stitch" in the United States is referred to as "moss stitch" in the United Kingdom.

So I referred to a United Kingdom web site and a United States book for the stitch pattern. Here is what I found in each source:

Row 1: knit 1, purl 1; repeat

Row 2: purl 1, knit 1; repeat

Repeat rows 1 and 2 for pattern.

Could it possibly be that we are not as different as we think we are?

Seed stitch

This stitch pattern is my muse: as revealed by the long list of designs which incorporate it.
Puddin' Pie: uses seed stitch on the collar, cuffs, waist and pocket. Even the cute finger puppet is worked in seed stitch.
Pets: uses seed stitch to "paint" on Stockinette stitch. More on this painting with stitches in future posts.
Islandia: seed stitch gives this garment a rustic look.
When the meadowlark sings: I framed the stockinette stitch with seed stitch.
Bunny Hug: I worked the hood, cuffs, waist and pocket in seed stitch. The body is done in Stockinette stitch.
Too Cool! Once again I framed Stockinette stitch with seed stitch. I enjoy wearing this top over a t.
Seaside stroll: unique use of seed stitch.
Island Dreams: finally I feasted on seed stitch: arms and body worked in this beautiful stitch pattern.
Summer's Sunset: a summer cardigan designed to showcase my muse: seed stitch. This new pattern will be available soon.
Cuddling: a uniquely constructed children's sweater with seed stitch detailing. This new pattern will be available soon.

See I wasn't kidding about my passion for seed stitch. Why do I like it so much: it lays flat, it does not stretch, it does not curl. It is a beautiful combination of knit and purl.

Moss stitch

Talking about beautiful stitches, this is another one.

I may not enough moss in my yard but I love it in my knitting.

Once again two separate sources (UK and US) verified that moss stitch is:

Row 1 and 2: knit one, purl one; repeat.

Row 3 and 4: purl one, knit one; repeat

Repeat rows 1 to 4 for pattern.


Seeded stitches top: Inspired by the moss stitch I began to invent my own stitch patterns. In this pattern I teach you how to join in this fun. ...but I can't stand to keep secrets to myself so the topic of the next post will be how to use the seed stitch to invent your own stitch pattern.
Lasting Romance: I clearly have a lasting romance not only with knitting but also with seed stitch and its many relations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home