Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ethnic Knitting: a book review

After reviewing Artic Lace I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Donna Druchunas' latest book. Ethnic Knitting did not disappoint. It serves as both a design primer as well as an exploration of knitting traditions. These diverse topics are skilfully knit together.

In Ethnic Knitting ‘s introduction, Donna clearly states the book’s objective: “With the skills you will learn in the following chapters, you will be able to design and knit beautiful, one-of-a kind sweaters that fit perfectly.”

Chapter 2 serves as a knitting design primer. The lessons include but are not limited to basics about sweater shapes, silhouettes and sizes.

Chapters 3 to 6 serve as an introduction to the knitting traditions of the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and the Andes. Each of these chapters ends with an invitation. Donna invites you to implement what you have learnt in chapter 2 to design and knit projects, which adhere to the knitting traditions of each country, you have visited.

The only note of disappointment is that there are no photos of the finished projects.


(a note from Donna: 'Just FYI, I have about 5 or 6 knitters working on sample sweater that will go up on a gallery on www.ethnicknitting.com as soon as they are finished. I hope in early November. The reason I didn't include photos in the book is that I want people to use their imaginations and not copy the sweaters that I've designed')

As I finished reading the book I found myself saying, “Where will you take me next time? Wherever it is Donna, I want to go.”

Yesterday I learnt that Iceland is one of the featured countries in Ethnic Knitting II. Oh, ya, I will be reading that book.

The book is available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966828933/ref=s9_asin_image_1/104-9223946-7498367?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=04PR1D0BT62KK9PXCJNY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240701&pf_rd_i=507846

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home