Monday, January 22, 2007

Buttons

I have heard historians say that in times past the presence of buttons on garments was a sign of wealth. The more buttons you had the richer you were.
If that is the case then our society has plumbed into poverty. Mayne Island has no notion shop. A recent off-island seek and find yielded no buttons. No buttons. Mind we didn't visit every single notion shop. Hubby does have his limits. And of course there is always a long list of must-dos that accompanies us each and every time we venture off our island.
So what is a knitter to do?
One of my favourite knitting techniques is I-cord making. I have used it as trimming, straps, ties, and the list goes on. My latest use for I-cords is as a button substitute. Easily done. Simply make a I-cord loop. Then make another I-cord and tie a knot in the end. (if you are having trouble picture it think of the fasteners seen on chef smocks) It works very well.
Is there no end to what I-cord can yield?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home