Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Shared Stories

Reading and being read to has always been a passion of mine.

One of my favourite anecdotes from my years as an Early Childhood Educator (child day care worker) took place when I was subbing. As a new substitute at the day care, I didn't know either staff or children very well.

The day was drawing to a close. We had a brief period of time until all the parents would arrive to claim their children. So our options for activities were limited. Ideally we need an activity that had a clear ending. Ideally we needed an activity that would involve all the children but very little of the equipment.

"I could read." I offered naively.

I was informed that these children hated storytime. They refused to sit still - they wouldn't listen.

I decided to try it anyway. So with the staff's dubious, "good luck" ringing in my ears I started.

It was a tough crowd. Only half of the group joined me. However, I was determined to succeed. I choose my favourite story. A sure winner or so I thought. It was a story I knew well. This would allow me to improv. The book was a prop. I involved the children as much as possible. Instead of me simply telling the story to them, we told the story together. If a child wanted an opportunity to contribute orally I gave them that opportunity. I drew them in because I was interested in what they had to offer.

Soon all the children had not only joined me but they were all thoroughly enjoying the story.

Later, after the children left, a staff member turned to me, "Wow! I never knew that was possible. Thank you."

"It was my pleasure." and it had been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home