Friday, August 04, 2006

Sense of place

This post was to be entitled "What fell of my needles". Notice the name change.

What happened?

Well, a slight miscalculation resulted in frogging.

We shall speak no more of this.

What we will speak of is "sense of place".

A friend recently moved off island. She sent an email saying that she was doing fine. She went on to explain that this is because she could easily blossom where she was set.

I am sorely lacking this capacity. I am greatly effected by my surroundings. Mayne Island's climate is what I need to blossom.

Another friend had been seriously considering moving. She had become bored with her surroundings. Recently, however, she has re-invested in local events and activities. This has awakened her interest in her home.

Yes, disinterest in your surroundings can effect us all.

Gosh, I can even become bored in paradise.

When this happens I develop itchy feet. Like the bear in the old song, I long to discover what is on the other side of the mountain. Summer is the prefect time to explore your options. Yet, "home" is like "beauty" you must carry it within your heart or you will find it not.

I know I am home because thoughts of it give me a sense of belonging, pride and security.

Yes, I count myself among the fortunate. I have found my home, right here, on this beautiful island.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home