Thursday, November 24, 2005

Exciting news!

I just received some very exciting news.
History: I always listen to CBC radio. During one of their morning shows I heard a request for family recipes from around the world. Sadly, there are not that many of us Icelandic-Canadians and so I knew I needed to represent. My Mom was a very talented baker/cook. She had left me her recipe for Vinaterta. I included a word or two on how important it was to our family. I mailed my submission. And promptly forgot all about it.

Until...on March 24, 2005 I received a letter from CBC radio. The formal letter ended with a post script: "We know you live on Mayne Island - but we love your recipe & would be honoured to include it in this cookbook!' I was blown away. CBC would be 'honoured' to include my Mom's recipe? ...a cookbook? I had been introduced to CBC radio by my parents. Mom would have been thrilled that they liked her recipe. The proceeds from the cookbook were to go to the Save the Children Canada fund. This too would have delighted Mom.

However, then CBC went through some problems. I thought surely the project would be lost. But today ...today I received this:

"Flavours of Vancouver:
Dishes from Around the World
is now in bookstores, and your recipe is in it!

Please join us for our very special launch, at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver on Thursday, Dec 8th in the morning.

CBC Radio's The Early Edition and host Rick Cluff will be broadcasting live from 6 to 8:30 am from the hotel's Versailles Ballroom.

We'll have food, music and special guests on hand to celebrate the book, and the people who made it possible - you!

We'd really like to see you there - so we can thank you in person, with your own copy of Flavours of Vancouver.

Time: 6 - 8:30 am
Date: Thursday, Dec 8th 2005
Place: Versailles Ballroom, Sutton Place Hotel, 845 Burrard St., Vancouver, BC

I feel like Cinderella.
You are invited to join me on this special day. So please tune your radios to CBC radio. (www.cbc.ca Then follow the links to Radio One)

With all the excitement I forgot to look at the calendar. Happy American Thanksgiving!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home