Monday, September 25, 2006

Knitting class: shaping

My menitor is currently encouraging me to design more challenging patterns. I will heed her advice. I value her input. However, my passion is to excite/encourage new knitters. So I will never forget the beginner and advanced beginner knitter. This is why I have shied away from designing elements such as circular needles and shaping. Sure I have a hand full of designs that call for decreasing.
Fair Wind, Sailor's Delight, Show Your Colours, and Safe Harbour have decreasing in the sleeves.
The September's Promise Vest has shaped armholes.
Gwenhwyfar is shaped all over the place.
The 40 below hat and the Barefootin' foot thong also have shaping.
All these designs use decreasing none use increasing.
Words of advice regarding decreasing: for best results decrease in the same spot each time. I usually decrease the first two stitches and last two stitches of each row. Some knitters may read this with alarm. They would never decrease in this spot. Whatever! It has never caused me any trouble and I have been doing this for over thirty years. If you are one of these knitters I would love to hear your reasons.
Words of advice regarding increasing: for best results increase in the same spot each time. It has been my experience that it is easier not to increase the beginning of each row. So I would advice you to increase two stitches from the beginning and two stitches from the end of each row.
Happy knitting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home